Title and Company:
Project Engineer at The WEITZ Company
Major and Graduation Date:
Industrial Technology (Manufacturing Option), May 2007
Major Job/Position Responsibilities:
As a Project Engineer, the daily tasks I have to deal with are constantly changing, so each day brings new challenges and always keeps the job interesting.
Some of my job duties include:
- Monitor all field engineering operations as they relate to specific area/sub trades.
- Actively participate in all coordination meetings as they relate to specific areas/sub trades.
- Setup, coordinate and maintain an efficient job schedule.
- Document and observe daily field activities as they relate to specific areas/ sub trades
- Assist superintendent with the punchlist process and daily progress reports.
- Coordinate document revisions with field operations and subcontractors.
- Estimate job costs and create project budget to uphold and maintain throughout the project.
- Coordinate meetings with ownership/representatives and architects to keep everyone on board with the daily logs and weekly progress reports.
- Negotiate/write subcontract with subs and vendors.
- Maintain safe work zone
What you like most about your job/position:
I would say that my favorite part about being a project engineer with Weitz would have to be the fact that we take a piece of land, develop it and build a structure. At the end of the day I can walk away from that jobsite and actually see the differences and progress made towards the final completion and know that tomorrow will be a whole new day of challenges.
What advice would you give to current students:
Find the career that intrigues you the most, provides challenges to build and learn from and offers plenty of room for growth. There are so many different fields of work out there, and finding one which you actually enjoy doing is something I've found to be very important and rewarding.